The United Kingdom’s Foreign Office has said it is “extremely concerned” by reports that a staff member at the consulate in its former colony of Hong Kong has been detained in mainland China. Simon Cheng did not return to work on August 9 after visiting the neighbouring mainland city of Shenzhen the previous day, Hong […]
US media reported Ankara had audio and video recordings seen by Turkish officials proving that Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi was killed inside his consulate in Istanbul.
Reports quoted US and Turkish officials as saying the recordings contained clear evidence that Khashoggi was detained by a Saudi security team upon his arrival at the consulate headquarters before being killed and dismembered.
Voice recordings, in particular, show “some of the ugliest and strongest evidence about the Saudi team’s responsibility for Khashoggi’s death,” according to the Washington Post.
“Voice recordings from inside the embassy show what happened with Gamal after he entered,” the newspaper said, quoting a source who said he was aware of the tapes and did not reveal his identity.
Saudi Arabia denies allegations of involvement in Khashoggi’s disappearance 10 days ago.
Khashoggi, who has contributed to articles in The Washington Post, is critical of some Saudi policies recently.
He lived in exile in the United States since he left Saudi Arabia last year.
International media organizations, including the New York Times and the Economist, have decided to boycott an investment conference scheduled to begin in Riyadh later this month.
British billionaire Richard Branson, chairman of the Virgin Group, also invested in Saudi Arabia for the Khashoggi accident.
In the United States, the State Department announced that Riyadh’s ambassador to Washington had left for Saudi Arabia and was expected to return information on the incident.
Turkey is demanding that Riyadh disclose the records of the surveillance cameras on the day of Khashoggi’s visit to the Saudi consulate on the second of this month.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has challenged Saudi officials before, demanding that they prove their story about the journalist’s disappearance.
Ankara on Thursday agreed to Riyadh’s request to set up a joint investigation team on the issue.
Saudi Arabia says journalist disappeared after leaving consulate.